Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Blackanese, Birthday Cake & Dr. Victor and the Rasta Rebels #truth

**Note - been blogging offline due to internet issues, traveling, & illness. Hope you don't mind the catch-up posting.


Soichiro, me, Vivek & Dale - "The Team"
I woke up moving a little slower than usual today. After all, yesterday was my 30th birthday and it was one I’ll never forget. Work day was pretty normal, except for a fabulous lunch at Blackanese Sushi, a restaurant owned by one of Awethu's high-impact entrepreneurs. He is somewhat of a local food celebrity in Joburg. After a long day at Awethu, I boarded the train 
Vivek & me on the train. I was terrified Soichiro was
going to miss the train as he was taking this pic.
from Joburg to Sandton with Vivek and Soichiro. They looked at me and said, “I bet you never thought you’d be hanging out on a train in South Africa with 2 Asian guys on your birthday. #truth

As I walked into my apartment, I found a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a bottle of champagne from my family on my kitchen table. I made a few phone calls to my honey and my mom and hopped in the shower to prepare for the evening’s festivities. Mid-shower there was a loud knock at the door. I thought the cleaning staff was probably dropping off the neighbor’s laundry again ;) I didn’t answer. The knocks continued. I turned off the shower and yelled “Hey sorry I can’t come to the door, I’m just getting dressed.” “Jen – It’s Vivek and I’ll wait.” Crap. I get out. Throw on some pj’s and run to the door. Vivek was standing there and told me it was time to go. Go where?! We weren’t supposed to meet for dinner for another hour. I told him I had to finish getting ready and he said he’d wait. Naturally. Turns out, my new friends decided to throw me a surprise birthday party complete with Running Springbok plates, party hats, balloons, champagne  
and birthday cake. The party was incredible and I was very touched. As the old saying goes, if you can’t be with the one you love then love the one you’re with. I think our entire team has found family and true friendship in one another.

Sunil, our South African host, invited us to his restaurant for dinner to celebrate my special day. He owns a fabulous south Indian restaurant in Melrose Arch (think – 90210 of Johannesburg area). He wined and dined us with the most fabulous Indian food I’ve ever had. At the end of the meal, the staff, wearing Aladdin-style hats, brought me out 2 CAKES complete with 30 candles!! Then Sunil whisked the team off to Roseland and headed to Katzy’s at the Hyatt Regency. Katzy’s is one of Johannesburg’s best live music venues and Thursday’s at Katzy’s is kind of a big deal because it features live entertainment from Dr Victor and the Rasta Rebels. Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about! Rocking out in South Africa to some Rasta Rebels on my 30th. Now what happens at Katzy’s will remain at Katzy’s but I will share that this particular evening was the first time in a club for one of my colleagues. I’ve never seen anyone dance quite the way he did – think synchronized swimming but on the dance floor. Now don’t go thinking we got too crazy, we were home and in bed long before the sun came up. After all, I am getting older and wiser. But it was a night I’ll never forget just the same.
No big deal, just Jammin’ into a new decade with my new friends. Something new every day…

No comments:

Post a Comment