Friday, November 22, 2013

And so it goes...#repatriation

 
#Repatriation has been tough. I've been back in the States for two weeks now. I'm slowly beginning to sink back into my regular life. I'm beginning to forget the daily nuances of living in South Africa, like what it was like not to have constant access to clean water, a safe environment, stable internet, and the like. And the guilt is heavy. It's fitting that Thanksgiving is right around the corner, because I don't want to forget what it is like to be so thankful for the things I have -- things that so many people take for granted and things that I used to take for granted. I don't want to forget how good it feels to come home. It's hard to appreciate what you have in life if you don't ever step outside of your comfort zone and take a walk in someone else's shoes.

 

My sabbatical team (Vivek, Soichiro and I) received word this week that The Awethu Project is using our operational review as a guide for their first-ever executive offsite meeting. We actually got a personal thank you note from the Chief Investment Officer as to how thrilled the team was with our final deliverable. It felt good. It felt good to know that we made a profound impact not only on their organization, but hopefully on the longevity of all of the entrepreneurs they support. It also felt good to forward that note to my boss so he knows how hard I worked while I was away. This was not a vacation, I can assure you (and so can my stomach which I think is still recovering).


(And because I love my team so much, here are a few that I'd love to share with you from our last day.)

 



  


 




 
***************************************************

After I arrived home, my best friends took me out to celebrate my birthday. They asked me to sum up my time in Johannesburg and tell them what I learned from this whole experience. I'm not usually at a loss for words and I shouldn't have been surprised at the question, but I'm not sure I had the answer they were looking for. The only thing that comes to mind is that I'm extremely Blessed. That WE are extremely blessed, especially in this part of the United States. Additionally, it is not lost on me that the only reason I was able to embark on this adventure is due to the kindness and generosity and trust of my family, friends and coworkers. They are the reason I was able to take a pause from my daily life to experience this adventure and find out what I was truly made of. I am blessed.

Many people have asked me if I'd ever do this again. My response (to quote my friend Hemang Desai) "I wish I could become a permanent SAP sabbaticaler" and continue to do good on behalf of SAP all over the world. 
 
This project has changed my perspective on life and overall, just changed my life completely. I have so much respect and gratitude for SAP and its true mission. I have seen first-hand that this company really does help the world Run Better.
 


 
So long good friends! See you later and see you soon! And until we meet again, I hope you remember me and think of my notes, and remember that you too are experiencing something new every day...

2 comments:

  1. love the pics...your blog is very popular among all my friends in India :)

    ReplyDelete